RE: TR4 cylinder liners

To: bwesterdale@edax.com, steven@cravetechnology.com, Twistblts@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 cylinder liners
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:39:41 FILETIME=[14EFB410:01C0612D]
>From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
>To: "'Steven Newell'" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, Twistblts@aol.com,
>Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: TR4 cylinder liners
>Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:44:10 -0500
>
>Steve wrote:
>The thinner walls of the bored liner may contribute to overheating issues
>slightly. While it'll cost slightly less to bore the old liners, it's
>likely
>false
>economy. The 87mm liners are engineered for 87mm pistons, get a
>matched set.
>

>Hmmmm....   interesting proposition.  I'm not so sure the likelihood of
>over
>heating is caused by the thinner walls. With a thinner sleeve, the heat
>produced by combustion gasses and piston ring friction has a shorter path
>travel before it reaches the water in the jackets.  I think this should
>serve to reduce the temperature at the inside (piston) surface of the
>thinner  liner.  On the other hand, the 87 mm bore raises the compression
>ratio and also burns a bit more fuel, because of the added engine
>displacement.  Both of these contribute to hotter engines,  no doubt.
>       Be sure to ask the Machinist about set up time for this job, as
>nobody rides for free.
>Have Fun-
>Bob Westerdale
>59 3A  TS36967

  I know I'm late getting to this discussion... I did the deed on my TR4
  when I received a set of +.040 pistons... It's been a little over 6
  years since the rebore. To date, I have had no overheating probs...
  In fact, the car runs a bit cooler now than it did before the
  changeover. the other changes done at the time were balancing the
  moving parts and lightening the flywheel by about 1/3rd.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)