Re: Paint stripping - another question and THANKS

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: Paint stripping - another question and THANKS
From: Scott Bloomer <flaedersaft@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:46:35 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael,

I want to add my view here.
The activity of chemical strippers is roughly governed by the same
physical laws as chemical reactions, so Arrhenius temperature
dependency is the primary governing principal. This principal states
that for every increase of temperature of 10 degrees C, the reaction
rate doubles. Since your garage is about -7 degrees and most chemical
reactions are standardized to 25 degrees C, the difference is roughly
30 degrees C. Thus the stripper would need to be applied for a period
of time equal to or greater than 2 to the 3rd power (2 from the rate
doubling,
or in this case halving, and 3 for the 3 decades of temperature
decrease).

One advantage of doing this in the winter is the reduced volatility of
the
stripper, so it is slightly more effective and less toxic than in the
summer.

This discussion does not take into account any goofy phase transitions
that may occur, but the rules governing these phenomena are still poorly
understood.

Scott 67 TR4A