TR4A Vacuum Survey Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A Vacuum Survey Update
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 04:59:04 EST
Listers,

Eleven  TR4A owners responded with spec readings off their stock Lucas
distributors VACUUM ADVANCE units. Thankyou all.

Eight  owners reported;

2-6-3

Legend:
A = required vacuum to start advancing
B = vacuum at which maximum advance occurs
C = maximum advance in degrees

Three  owners reported:
4-14-8
5-17-10  and
5-13-10

The minority units above; need higher vacuum to get started, can handle a
higher vacuum range, and can provide up to 7 degrees more advancement.

Which is stock? Probably 2-6-3. Which is better? I don't know enough about it
- the capability of 7 degrees more advancement might make your motor more
responsive OR cause tuning difficulties.

About halfway through TR4 production (CT17954) the vacuum unit was updated
(probably to 2-6-3) and I think it ran unchanged through the duration of
TR4-A production. If anyone has more info - please speak up.

Regards,

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L