Re: Using Spitfire frame to restore a GT6

To: jon_mx5@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Using Spitfire frame to restore a GT6
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:55:05 EST
In a message dated 12/04/2000 12:31:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jon_mx5@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm restoring a '72 GT6 MkIII with the rotoflex suspension...I picked up a
Spitfire
>  chassis, from a '74, I think. I'm not sure how to tell the year of a
>  Spitfire frame.

If it's US-spec and it's from 1974 or later, it will have the rear frame
extensions -- behind the rear axle, and designed primarily to support the
"Federal" impact bumpers on the later cars. AFAIK, no GT6 ever had these
extensions, and they're not necessary to support anything BUT those bumpers.
(You probably could cut them off and "close up" the holes to match what the
original frame would've looked like.)

>  Anyway, my question is: What do I have to do to make the frame totally
>  compatible with the GT6 stuff?

Mostly you'll need more forward radiator (no pun intended for Triumph
Trivialists) chassis mounts, and you'll need mounts for the rear lower
wishbones...

>  I think I need radiator mounts. The GT6 radiator is mounted way further
>  forward. Where can I get or how can I make these mounts?

If you can't salvage them from the old chassis, they should be pretty easy to
fabricate. They're not much more than bent pieces of metal "bracketry" with a
hole in them, welded in the appropriate place.

>  I also need some sort of rear suspension brackets. Victoria British has
>  these for sale for about $70 each side. Is there a better source than VB?
>  Everyone seems to be a little down on them.

Can't help you there; others will, though, I'm sure.

>  Also, how about a stylistic question:
>  Once all this stuff is done and before I'm ready to put parts up on the
new
>  frame, should I paint the frame to match the body or black? Black is more
>  correct, right? I don't think I've ever actually seen (as in, not photos
on
>  the web) a matched frame.

Actually, body color is more "correct". ANALLY correct would be to paint the
chassis black, then mount it to the tub, then paint everything exposed body
color. ;-) That is how the cars were painted at the factory -- body and
chassis together, all panels (doors, bonnet, hatch) mounted to the body.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register