thanks on shocks - question on gearbox

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: thanks on shocks - question on gearbox
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:05:47 -0600
Thanks to all for your responses on my lever shock question.  Yes,
indeed, those holes are filler holes.  Fred was also kind enough to
give me contact info for a a company that sells the seals & gaskets
I'm looking for:

At 6:31 AM -0500 12/2/00, Fred Thomas wrote:
>Dan, Peter C a member of this list sells all the parts you need as well as
>the rebuild service also, 800-362-1025 www.nosimport.com  or
>nosimport@mailbag.com  , yes the is the filler hole.  "FT"

While I was out in the garage today poking around, I suddenly noticed
that my gearbox (from small-mouth TR3) seems to have the casting for
the later starters.  Now, my car had a bull-nose starter on it, and
if I am not mistaken, the early gearboxes didn't have accommodations
for the late starters (the ones like Spitfire starters) -- the
starter bulge was very short.

I gave the archives a quick try, but didn't find anything definitive.
How do I identify this as a 3-synchro or a 4-synchro box?

The number stamped on the side is 302551.

TIA,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L.  Needs an O.  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting motivation and time from owner.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too.  In need of a
comprehensive restoration (again), but will have to wait its turn in
storage.

1997 Nissan pickup, a.k.a. Triumph support vehicle.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!