Re: Attitude and Soviets...

To: Matt Ritter <prdesign@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Attitude and Soviets...
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:46:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Actually, as someone on the list commented, "...we would all be wearing
lederhosen..." if with Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union, they had
maintained the attitude of true liberators from Communism, this would be the
case!  The Germans were welcomed with open arms, with Soviet soldiers coming
over in the multiple thousands, and eagerly pointing out the "commissars" and
helping shoot them.  Even at the end of the war, there were over 250,000
Soviet troops and generals in Berlin, begging to be armed to fight.  It was
only because of Hitler's notions of "untermenchen" and "Aryans"  that finally
the Soviet forces still in the USSR stood and fought.

Cheers...