Re: Attitude

To: <naldous@ccgmail.com>, "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Attitude
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:17:18 -0600
Winston Churchill's strategy for winning World War 2 was to encourage the
USA to enter on the side of the British, French etc.  He NEVER had a
"pompous attitude" towards the USA, for which he had a soft spot in his
heart, having an American for a mother.  He new that when Britain stood
alone, which it did from Dunkirk until Pearl Harbor, its only chance of
beating Hitler was to involve the USA.  The reason the USA was not involved
until Pearl harbor was because of the isolationist policies favored by the
House and Senate at that time.  FDR was in favor of aiding the British and
did so through lend - lease, but he knew that the house and senate would not
allow a declaration of war unitl the USA was, itself, attacked.  People such
as Joe Kennedy and that great American hero, Charles Lindbergh, were in
favor of working with the Nazis, in fact.  As in most cases, this war was
not a simple case of the good guys versus the bad guys - politics ruled.
Thus, your statements about the US saving Britain and France are an
over-simplification of what really happened.  And remember, if the USA had
entered WW2 in 1939, it would probably have not been able to contribute much
except naval forces.  The air force was small and ill-equipped as was the US
army.  England's "delaying tactics" in Europe and North Africa gave the USA
time to become the military powerhouse that did, ultimately, play the major
part in saving the free world.

Now, don't get me started on what happened after the war ended...