TR3 Sleeve height delta

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Sleeve height delta
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:52:46 -0500
In an effort to get the four cylinder sleeves all the same height I have
removed and reinstalled several times, trying to get them to stand proud of
the deck within the spec of 0.003" to 0.0055". I am glad that spec was
there, as they all started out quite a bit higher.
I have cleaned the surfaces, checked the fig. 8 gaskets (had four to
compare), cleaned the bottom of the sleeves where they land on the gaskets,
and now finally have them all within spec. #3 has really given me a lot of
grief. I have even filed down the surface that lands on the fig. 8 gasket
to remove a couple of thou. (I think that's what i did....)
So now my question is - am I OK with three of them at the low end of the
spec and one at the high end? i.e. will the head gasket compensate? I
didn't see a spec for how close they need to be to each other. I will be
using a regular composite head gasket, not the solid copper type.
I would really like to hear from someone who has experienced this, and gone
ahead with the rebuild, and what the outcome was. (There are probably lots
of theories but I think I have already had most of them run through my head
during the course of this exercise!)
Thanks,
Jim Wallace