Safety tip (was 12")

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety tip (was 12")
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:07:00 -0500
In addition to having the car supported by very hefty jackstands, I have
one other suggestion.

When I have one of my cars on jackstands, I always place one of the tires
somewhere close under the frame (but just far enough to be out of the way
of work.) In the event that some calamity happens, the car can fall no
further than the tire/rim will allow.

With most wheels this is a safe distance, under a TR3 the tire is a bit
narrow so I'll place two. You'd be amazed at the additional feeling of
security it gives you (justifiably so, I believe.)

I have an Aussie friend who was working under a car with just a floor jack,
a very unwise thing to do for an otherwise very smart guy. After a few
minutes he attempted to get out to get a tool and found himself to be
stuck. The jack was very slowly leaking down. No one heard him yell for
help, and if his wife hadn't come home at just the right time he would not
have been around to tell me the story.

Dick Dell
Raleigh NC
TR3