Electric Fuel pumps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Fuel pumps
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:48:47 -0500
Greetings...
        This past summer I replaced the ailing electric fuel pump in my 3A--
it was one of the 'demand sensitive' types that would make gentle 'clunking'
noises in response to fuel demand.
Then I inadvertently selected as a replacement ( was it a Purolator? Penske?
Duh..) is a so-called Solid state pump, (I have no idea what that actually
means) that makes a truly annoying drone at all times, regardless of  gas
demand.   I was stuck on the roadside, with little chance for market
research.   Anyway, can anyone tell me if the Facet (?) pump makes the same
kind of nasty racket?  Any other brands that are reasonably quiet?  ISTR
that SU was making an 'upgraded' pump,  but I have an aversion to the brand,
having serviced a number of ailing ones on friends MG's and Healeys..  Any
ideas?  ( No thanks to a mechanical pump, BTDT, hated them)
Thanks-
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E