Painting TR6 rear valance

To: "triumphs-digest@autox.team.net" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>, econrad@teal.csn.net
Subject: Painting TR6 rear valance
From: Robert Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:03:45 -0500
Hi Eric:
    I ran into the same when trying to find a semi flat paint to do both
my rear valance and the bottom of the rockers. I found a spray can at
Walmart. It was from Krylon labeled Semi Gloss Black. I had just
finished repainting the complete car the body color (white). So just as
the factory did. I scuffed the rear valance and used the Krylon Semi
gloss from Walmart. In my opinion it looks much better than the
completely flat, dull black that was there.
    For the bottom of the rocker panels. I first scuffed the body color,
then I used a black rubberized undercoating (again from Walmart) After
this was dry I used the Same semi gloss Krylon black to make the rear
valance match the rockers. I also used the Krylon semi gloss black to
paint the inner wheel wells. Try it! I'm sure you will be impressed.
Mine came out Great!
    Bob Greene
76 TR6
CF56728UO
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>

I am wanting to choose a "correct" gloss-factor for the black paint I
need
to use on the rear valance of my TR6.  I'm still painting it the body
color
for now, so timing for this question will become more imperative as each
day
passes.  I've checked the VTR site for information on type of paint to
choose, but am finding a bit of a problem in finding "semi-flat" black
paint.  At this point, the paint supplier I've been using is saying that

black paint typically comes in either gloss or flat, but not semi.  My
guess
is that I'm not grasping something.  Does anyone have a paint code for
the
paint I need?

Also, I'm assuming that the bottom of the rocker panels will also be
painted
with the same color - assuming that I'm not using any undercoating-like
material on the car.  Also, I'm wanting to paint the inner wheel wells
black
as well.  Would this same black paint be used here as well?

Thanks,
Eric Conrad
76 TR6 - Frame-off, body bead blasted, etch-primered.  Also, the bottom
of
the body and inner wheel wells are primered, sealed and painted Pimento
Red.
Next up is the engine compartment.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rgreene.vcf]