Re: "Smokin" TR4

To: Gary Allgood <leyte@lvs.net>
Subject: Re: "Smokin" TR4
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 16:30:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
YOu most likely have worn vavle guides, although worn rings are also a
possibility.  What happens with the guides is that while the engine is idling
at the light, oil slowly works its way down the valve stems, onto the face of
the intakes.  There is not enough draw of air at idle to suck it into the
cylinders.  Same with rings.  However, as soon as you step on the gas at the
light, this oil is rapidly sucked into the cylinders, and burned off.  That is
the light-blue smoke that you see.

Cheers.