Decision on TR7 Bearings from Hell

To: "INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com" <Eganb@aol.com>
Subject: Decision on TR7 Bearings from Hell
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:25:12 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com
><snip>
>After a closer look at the scratches and burr on my TR7s crankshaft, I'm
>going to rely on my trusty Dremel and yards of Crocus cloth to smooth out
>these blemishes caused by my carelessness, instead of pulling the crank
>which
>I have neither appropriate space or cash to do, but would probably end up
>being a heck of a lot quicker.

Don't go in there with a dremel tool.  It takes away material too fast and
if you use a stone the stone dust will get everywhere.  Use a small, fine
tooth file to take off the high spots only.  The dents and low spots will
not cause a problem but trying to make it smooth by taking away material
that is the proper diameter will be counterproductive.

>What I do have is plenty of time and sweat-equity to put into the project,

>and for you who are still interested, a couple of additional questions:
>
>1.  I finally got the #1 bearing out by taking the camshaft caps off and
>raising it enough to reduce the chain tension.  The upper bearing slid
right
>out.  My question is whether the chain is suppose to be so bloody tight,
and
>is there an adjustment I should be looking for?

There is an automatic adjuster and if it indexes while the cam is loose you
may have to pull the front cover and reset it.

>2.  My strategy is to clean up all the scratches and burrs, then spray a
>couple of gallons of WD40 over everything to clean out any grit, then put
in
>some extra new shells on the bearings that were scratched, turn the engine

>over several times by hand, and then take the caps off again to see if any

>scratches appear on the shells.   What do you think?

Again, don't worry about the scratches, just the burrs.

>3.  After I reassemble everything, including brand new bearing shells, I
>thought I would leave the sparkplugs out, and pull the car in gear to help

>the engine get "broken in" without the heat and pressure of actually
running.
> Maybe pull it for a couple of miles, then replace the oil and filter.
But
>then I thought maybe this would cause accelerated wear because the engine
>wouldn't be running at its normal temperature, so the oil might not be as
>fluid.  Thoughts?

There really is no "break in" as there is when new rings are fitted.  When
I re-bearing'ed my TR6 I just filled the crankcase with a low viscosity
oil, drove the car until warm and changed the the regular stuff.  And I
changed the filter, too.

>Of course, just to be safe, anybody got a spare crank they don't need?

If you wind up pulling the crank you can no doubt get it turned.  I doubt
the damage is more than a few thousandths deep.

Good luck

Dave