Re: TR-6 J-Type Help Needed

To: JRossi727@aol.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 J-Type Help Needed
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:19:32 -0400
JRossi727@aol.com wrote:
> Tranny problems now. I purchase this OD from Rimmers last winter. Just
> getting this guy's car going. All electric's are working on Solenoid. Test
> light show it is powered in third and four. Can hear it clicking. Drove the
> car. Worked once in third.

  What oil are you using?  Be sure to use a cheap oil.

  If you use a fancy modern gear oil, you can have two
problems. One is that the oil might foam up, so the
hydraulic pressure won't get high enough to keep the
unit engaged.

  The other problem is that if the oil is too slippery,
the cone clutch will not grab, and it'll constantly
slip. The cone clutch has to be able to lock up, even
in oil. With modern gear oil with all sorts of anti
friction additives, it just might not hook up.

  20w50 engine oil is what I use in my J-type tranny. I
found it impossible to find gear oil without anti-friction
additives, so I went to motor oil. Similar transmissions
and Laycock overdrives for MGs are supposed to use motor
oil, so I don't have any concerns.

  As well as ensuring you have the right oil, be sure
you have enough oil. Often with the overdrives you have
to fill the tranny, then take it for a short drive
flicking in and out of OD, then fill it again. This
is to fill the overdrive which doesn't happen by
gravity, it needs to be run and then the system topped
up.

  As for the solenoid, if your J-type is like mine
(spitfire tranny) there is no adjustment needed
on the solenoid. It's a direct acting valve, unlike
the older transmissions where the solenoid just pulled
and pushed a lever valve. You have to shim those types
so the lever travel was correct.

  It's unlikely, but also be sure that the solenoid jacket
is secure on the solenoid. I am not sure of the names,
but the "jacket" is the black metal tube that is held
onto the brass fitting by four pins.

  Mine was loose when I got it, which led to intermittent
operation. You shouldn't be able to wiggle the sleeve
versus the threaded and with the big nut on it.

  If you can, you can solidify it by replacing any
missing roll pins, then spreading the roll pins gently
with a small center punch and a hammer.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca