TR7 bearings from hell

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 bearings from hell
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:01:39 EDT
Folks,

The good news is that I am writing this email asking for help.  That means
I''m not sitting on my back under my TR7, staring at the crankshaft that
obviously hates me.
I'm not one to give up -- usually I'll work until I really break something,
so I'm making progress...

I'm trying to replace the main crank bearings on the car, and I am having a
hell of a time getting old top ones out, and the new top ones in.  #2,3,4
went in without too much complaining, but #1 and 5 have fought me all the
way.  I have had to tap the old ones out with various thin instruments
including a kitchen knife, and the news ones have refused to go in without
additional tapping.

In the process I have scratched and nicked the crankshaft where the bearings
ride, a real no-no, and I had to do so much tapping on the end of #1 that I
think I closed off the center oil channel.  And now of course I can't get the
bloody thing back out.

I'm already resigned to buying another set of bearings, but isn't there some
way to get some slack on the crank to make this less painful?

As to the scratches and nicks on the crankshaft, just hold my breath?

As usual, thanks for keeping the laughter to a minimum.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC