SUMMARY Silicone Gasket

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SUMMARY Silicone Gasket
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:14:06 -0700
Many thanks to the list for all who replied, I finally decided to use
the cork gasket and the Cast Aluminum VC (which BTW, will only fit
the TR-3 if installed with the Oil Filler Cap to the Rear of the
engine). The following are excerpts from the replies:

I have a Justin Wagner gasket that I haven't cured yet either. I asked him
about using the kitchen oven and he said that...

1) I should lay it out flat on aluminum foil on a cookie sheet
2) the silicone is basically the same silicone used in some cooking
molds...as it is a high temp silicone
3) that I could bake something in a mold made of this stuff, and eat it (the
food, I presume - not the silicone).

Since I haven't tried it yet, I can't say for sure, but it doesn't sound
like you need to wait for your wife to leave town. :^)

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O

>>This was the best of all, Steven actually sent me his gasket to
>>use, nope >>never heard of the guy before...is this a List or what?
>>In return I am going >>to "cure" it for him before I return it.

No problem. I'm in Denver, CO. For a few months I've owed Art Kelly a
spare copy
of a brit-car magazine with a TR4 buyers guide -- this'll be a good chance to
actually go to a post office. It'll go out tomorrow USPS priority mail.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO

>>And this is what decided me on the course of Action I finally took.

Hey don't worry. Glue the stock cork gasket to the VC with silicone gasket
seal and your done.Coat the cover and gasket then stick them
together. Place the
assembly carefully on the head and adjust the two parts for a good fit before
clamping down with the cover bolts.  The gasket will stay in place
whenever the VC is removed and no leaks when replaced back on the
head. I've had this setup on my Spit racer for five years with no
problems. The VC gets removed to gap valves twice at every race and
the cork is still stuck as tight as it was from day one.
Donn Sopp

--
Bill Pugh
aka Wily