British Invasion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: British Invasion
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:22:02 -0400
Ah, Stowe. Mountains, mud and all things British. The weather may have
detered some from attending this year's gathering, but for those that did,
it was another hoot. Friday's weather was rainy and cold and I
congratulated myself on driving up on Thursday. A group of us rented a
house outside of town and made the best of the weather. Saturday was cloudy
with showers threatening and I didn't even bother to wash my car, but I was
eventually shamed into wiping off some of the worst road dust and mud. (I
won a first-place trophy last year, so I had proved my point.)

Some notes and observations:
More Land Rovers than I've ever seen before. Everything from mall-cruisers
to truly agricultural old crocks. I watched their trials course for a bit.
Why no one fell over is beyond me. If I ever think of getting a 4WD, it'll
be a Landie.

Put faces with some names. Doug Frank and Brian Sanborn come to mind.
Expect a few new names on the List, since several folks I talked to asked
about the List sticker on my windscreen.

We should start a collection and send Chris Francis to another place during
the third weekend of September. Those that have been to BI before will know
what I mean. ;-)

In spite of the less than perfect weather, our "field buffet" proved to be
quite satisfying.

The best catch-phrase from the show: "I drove my car to the trailer show."
And I did.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (Will run forever on cash)