Re: Electric Fan Switch

To: "David Brady" <dmb@cisco.com>, "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Electric Fan Switch
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:52:55 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David,

Tom's right (for once).   I did put my manual override switch and my
indicator light both in the ashtray on my TR6.   The switch was a paddle
switch that I got at Radio Shack.  I drilled a hole in the ashtray and then
ground the paddle down until the lid of the ashtray would close with the
switch in place.  I drilled a smaller hole for the wire for the indicator
light.  HINT: figure out where you want them both to go before you drill
your holes or you'll end up with an extra hole or two....don't ask me how I
know this.

On the lid of the ashtray I glued (using JB Weld) a clamp from a fuel line
kit (it was what I had handy laying on the bench and it fit the indicator
light perfectly).  The indicator light was from Radio Shack (part #272-332C)
and comes two to a pack.  It says Red Snap-In 12 VDC Lamp Assembly.  The
light/lamp does fit very nice and tight in the clamp that I glued to the
ashtray lid.  I gave the clamp a shot of paint...actually a good chance to
give the whole ashtray a shot.  Put the switch in the ashtray (it has a
threaded nut to hold it in place), put the light into the clamp, and hooked
up the wiring I'd run through the firewall to the switch and to the light.

It works pretty well and it's all out of sight unless I want the light to be
in sight (usually don't need to see it as the ammeter also tells you when
the fan kicks on and the light glows so bright you can see it at night with
the lid down).

I also idiot proofed the manual override switch since I was going to be the
operator.  I have the fan on a thermostat on the radiator set at around 200
degrees or so (I calibrated it on my inaccurate temp gage so it was set
mostly by personal knowledge of my car and comfort level).  But I wanted the
manual override capability just in case the thermostat didn't do it's job
and I was sitting in traffic watching my car heat up.  Anyhow I was afraid
if I used the manual override and then parked I could forget I'd turned it
on and walk off with the fan running continuously (and running the battery
down) versus walking off with it running and the thermostat turning it off.

So I positioned the switch in the ashtray so that when I used it for manual
override the paddle in the on position would be in the way of the light when
you tried to close the ashtray lid.  With it in the off position the light
"clears" the paddle and ashtray lid closes.  I've never had to use the
manual override but if I do I won't have a dead battery from not turning it
off.

The fan/thermo has worked great and was a tremendous peace of mind when
stuck in highway construction delays in 105 degree weather going to VTR this
summer.  Plus it cools the car down nicely when I stop and park (I'd never
thought about the engine continuing to heat up when you turn the key off but
it does from lack of a fan running).  I wonder how much of a little spike in
temperature that is??  Oh well, the electric fan takes care of it now.

Bud