Re: Is a Spitfire for me?

To: Herald948@aol.com, blindvilet@mindspring.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is a Spitfire for me?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:42:49 EDT
In a message dated 00-09-14 10:21:23 EDT, Herald948@aol.com writes:

<< All in all, one could not find a much simpler car than a Spitfire, in
terms
 of ease of maintenance and accessibility. Heck, the whole front end pivots
 forward and out of the way, leaving you a tire to sit on while performing
 most engine maintenance, tuning and repair. And if that isn't enough out of
 the way, you can unbolt it and toss it over onto the lawn next to the
 driveway in about 10-20 minutes!

 There is very little on a Spitfire that can't be disassembled, repaired,
 replaced or renewed using little more than a few basic hand tools. And most
 fittings and bolts are "conventional" UNF or UNC fittings, taking regular
 sockets and wrenchs (little or no metric).  >>

Steve,

I especially like this piece that I extracted from Andy's response.

I'm probably a little biased having owned a '66 Spit 4 and now owning a '70
Mk3 but why don't you consider an earlier marque Spit like a Mk3 or Mk2?
IMHO, these marques generate more attention especially at shows then their
newer versions....little harder to come by perhaps, but they just seem to
capture that original lovable Spit character!

Another option to become more familiar with the Spitfire is to subscribe to
Spitfire & GT6 magazine or at least borrow a copy from someone.....pretty
neat magazine - lots of pictures of owner's cars, articles, etc....refer to
www.triumphspitfire.com

Good luck,

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (basking in the sun!)