Re: IRS negative camber

To: "Alan" <eliminator@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: IRS negative camber
From: "Jerry Oliver" <slantws@Home.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:08:10 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Alan
Try searching the archives. A fellow did a lot of research on the position
and "notch" type combinations to change camber. I have a copy of it
somewhere, and can fax or mail it to you if you can't find it. However,
generally, after a full rebuild of the rear suspension an IRS TR4A looks
like a VW with the engine out, that is, positive camber with the top of the
wheel further outboard when viewed from the rear. When I restored my 66 TR4A
it was about 3 degrees positive, but gradually the springs sag, and now the
car is virtually at 0 degrees.Workshop calls for 1/2 to 1 degree negative,
so that's pretty close for a car with only a few miles. It creates that
rocket taking off look to the car the designers were after. One simple
solution Triumph came up with in the 60s when the had complaints about rear
sag was to install a spacer under the rear spring. I think these spacers are
available from Moss and are probably plentiful in the breakers yards too.
You didn't say where you got your springs, but the major suppliers have been
known to sell the wrong length spring in some of the kits. If you need more
info., contact me off list.
Jerry Oliver
66 TR4A IRS
Olympia, WA