FW: overdrive question

To: "david orcutt" <dorcutt@total.net>
Subject: FW: overdrive question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:35:35 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "david orcutt"
>Help,  The over drive on my 75 tr6 fails after it is warm apr. 10 to 15
minutes of operation.  I pulled the filter and found a fair amount of fine
metal in the cover.  Changed the fluid and drove, still inop.  Changed the
solenoid with a good one some lent me and she is ok.  Pulled the filter
again and still found some slight metal in there.  Not much.  I'm going to
replaced the solenoid but don't know if some metal is some what normal.
Any
one have any thoughts?  Thanks.
<

David,

Is the metal steel (magnetic) or brass.  It could be just the accumulation
of normal wear over the years and the subsequent findings are just more of
the same that didn't find its way to the filter the first time.  Or it
could be that you have a bearing going out.  At this point it is difficult
to tell.  Perhaps the best (easiest) thing to do is to just keep driving it
and see if any other symptoms turn up.  The worst that could happen is you
have to rebuild the transmission and overdrive.

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (with A-type)
71 TR6 (with J-type)
80 TR8 (with 5 speed)