RE: Horns on a '60 TR3A

To: "Crockett, Steve" <steve.crockett@analog.com>
Subject: RE: Horns on a '60 TR3A
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:03:59 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Steve,

Yes, they are adjustable. There are a couple pages on the procedure in the
Factory Workshop (Bentley) manual. It states that it doesn't alter the pitch
but if not properly adjusted it results in "loss of power and roughness of
tone". Basically there is a lock nut under an adjusting nut towards the top
center of the horn (after cover removed). After loosening the lock nut, turn
the adjusting nut clockwise until contacts just separate (which stops horn
from sounding) then turn back other direction 1/2 turn and tighten back
down. The manual says to measure the amps being drawn as the means to do the
adjustment --- latter style s/b 8 amps. Turning adjustment screw clockwise
decreases the current.

I've never done it, but it doesn't sound too bad. All of the above just
quoted from manual.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire