RE: Making a TR 4 Rev Up

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@nceas.ucsb.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Making a TR 4 Rev Up
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:38:02 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Jeff,

I rebuilt my TR4 engine to original spec except for 87MM pistons
and liners, Teflon valve guides, hardened seats and modern rear
seal.  I used the stock TR4A cam fro BPNW. The engine came out
great.... strong and smooth.

I did experience a pronounced roughness above 3500 RPMs and
thought that the moving parts in the engine were off balance.  I
also had the huge, heavy 4-blade TR fan.  It had a knick in one
blade was not balanced by anyone.

I bought one of those "tropical" 6-blade fans on Ebay and
balanced it with bicycle wheel type balancer with new balance
weights from TRF.  This was a pure speculation move... before
moving to no fan and an electric replacement.  Well... It fixed
the problem completely.

The engine revs over 5000 without any vibration.  I still think I
could improve the situation with one of those TR250 yellow
plastic fans... if I could get it to fit without hitting the
radiator.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site