RE: Unknown frightening noise. TR3 Help requested

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Unknown frightening noise. TR3 Help requested
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:59:46 -0700
Roger :

Your description sounds like "spark knock" to me.  Try backing off the timing
about 4 degrees and retest.  (4 deg. may not be enough to eliminate, but should
make a substantial difference.) If that is the problem, you can either leave
the timing retarded (which may result in poor gas mileage, poor performance
and/or overheating), or use higher octane fuel.

Can't think of anything else that matches your description.  Bearing knocks are
usually more apparent at low rpm, heavy load.

Note : diesel engines operate under conditions of what would be spark knock in
an Otto cycle engine (hence the 'dieselish' sound), but they are designed to
take it.  Continuous knock will soon destroy your TR3.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO