Re: Lightening flywheel - TR3a

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lightening flywheel - TR3a
From: William Ashley Southgate <ashleys@es.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:09:29 +1200
>Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 22:21:50 +1200
>To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
>From: William Ashley Southgate <ashleys@es.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: Lightening flywheel - TR3a
>
>At 22:31 3/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi Ashley,
>>Thanks for your response.
>>I haven't got down to the internals of the engine yet but if the cam is
>>good I will keep it, as I have to stay within a reasonable budget, and most
>>of it will likely be spent on bodywork.
>>So, if I keep the standard cam, what would you think I could go down to for
>>flywheel weight? I have a variety of opinions, most saying to go down to
>>between 10 and 15 pounds.
>>Also if I keep the cam, is there any benefit to going to the 4A distributor?
>>And, did you put your 195 60s on TR6 rims? I've been thinking of that but
>>would like to retain the original hubcaps, so will have to move the three
>>"studs" over from some old 3 rims.
>>Regards,
>>Jim
>>Ottawa, Canada, where we can spell colour and also use Imperial gallons.
>>
>>distributor?At 10:41 PM 8/3/00 +1200, you wrote:

without

>>>Hi Jim, With my 3B i took off 11 lbs,this was max to take off for a 264
>>>duration cam {standard duration 255 }runs very sweet idle at 500 rpm,but
>>>has 4A head with the biggest valves that i could fit,racing roller
>>>rockers,10.5 comp,4A inlet manifold with 4A SUs & fully balanced.From the
>>>feel it has at least 140 bhp & returns 32 miles to the imp gallon.With the
>>>new steering rack,195x60x15 Hankooks i can kept up with the modern cars we
>>>have here in NZ.A must also is to fit a TR4A dizzy has the best least curve
>>>advance. Cheers Ashley.>
>>>Ashley Southgate Otaio RD 1 Timaru New Zealand
>>>2x4A,1x4,1x250,1x6PI,1x6CARB,1x3B{now Completed}
>>>

>Hi! Jim,Thanks for reply.If you just want a standard motor leave flywheel
as is.A lighter flywheel should have a better cam,& if you go for a 264
duration cam dont take more than 10 lbs of the flywheel.The more you take
off the higher spec cam would be required,& this means a race motor.What
you should do for a small budget is to change clutch cover & plate to a
TR4a/TR6 spec,balance the shaft,flywheel,clutch,& throw away the front fan
& install a electric fan.Fit a 4 into one stainless manifold,two through
mufflers,2 inch pipe front to rear,kept your 3A dizzy.I have a Tr4a from
new,got rid of fan, installed electric fan,fitted a thin belt/pully
setup,installed the 4 into one exhaust,for this i got 8 extra brake horse
power & is a very nice car to drive.The 3B is so much different in
power,but thats the way i wanted it to be,will never win a concoarse,just
right for fast highway trips & is still very driveable in city.Oh for both
TRs oil coolers are fitted, a must.If you go ahead with a TR6 clutch set up
use a Toyota throw out bearing,here it under part number "RB36".For perfect
smooth clutch operation fit sealed ball race to end of crankshaft,have
input shaft turned to fit & you will have a modern feel to your gear
changes,i use synthetic 70 grade gearbox oil suitable for Japanese 5 speed
gear box,The problem with TR gear changes is if the input shaft is left to
wobble around this makes the clutch plate wobble & this in turn hits & miss
the flywheel while you have foot on clutch & you have guessed it the poor
old input shaft is in & out of drive & gives the syncho rings hell which
gives click gear changes.If you have any questions please be incontact
Cheers Ashley.
Ashley Southgate Otaio RD 1 Timaru New Zealand. Triumph Sports Cars
2x4A,1x250,1x6PI,1x6CARB,1x3B{now Completed}           1xTR4 now at
paint.--    Holden V8 HSV R8 {250kw LS1}6 speed.