Re: Threadlocker

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Threadlocker
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:53:47 -0400
Hi,

I'd like to clarify, as Ranall pointed out - going by color alone is
probably not the best method of determining which thread locking compounds
to use.

I use:

blue   Loctite 242(tm)    low temp applications. Med strength.
red    Loctite 272        high temp applications (like your flywheel to
crank                                                     and clutch to
flywheel bolts). Warning, you might
                          need heat to get things apart later on! This is
                          also "high strength". They mean it!
green  Loctite 290        "wicking grade" - assemble parts, put on a "dab"
                          and it won't come apart... marvelous stuff!

Also - make sure your parts are clean before you use this stuff... it'll
work in the presence of some contaminants, but it won't work as well. By
way of example, the inner axle flange to diff. on my TR6 bolts used to come
loose periodically - even with the Loctite. Once I cleaned everything with
brake kleener and reassembled with 242 - no problems. I used to tweak the
bolts every  1k miles or so. Since the last "proper application", it's been
15k miles and those babies are still nice and snug.

Alright!

Later,
rml

Bob Lang                | Voice: 617-253-7438      | This space
Consultant              | FAX:   617-258-9535      | for rent
MIT Information Systems | email: lang@isis.mit.edu |