Re: TR4A Woes - long

Subject: Re: TR4A Woes - long
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:24:27 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark :

The black plugs seem to indicate the front carb is going rich for some
reason.  To be sure, check for black smoke when it starts running
crappy.

Since you mentioned it being extra dirty, I'd guess there is crud
getting stuck in the float valve, holding it open temporarily and
allowing the carb to flood.  With the engine warm, try pulling off the
fuel line where it enters the front carb, redirecting it into a suitable
container (like a 1qt canning jar) and briefly starting the engine (it
will run for a few seconds on the gas in the bowl).  Repeat until no
crud shows up in the jar.  (You might also decide to replace the rubber
line again at this point.)  Then disassemble the float valve and flush
between the valve and the inlet with carb cleaner.

Another possibility is a partially saturated float, that no longer holds
back the fuel pressure when it gets warm.  I don't know of any good
diagnostic, except to substitute a 'known good' float (like the one from
the rear carb).  Sometimes, you can cure this problem by coating the
float with "hot fuel proof dope", available at a hobby shop that caters
to model airplanes.

I've never tried Grose jets, but I've heard from several people that
reported problems somewhat similar to yours 'went away' after they
switched back to the stock float valves.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver