Re: frame concern TR6

Subject: Re: frame concern TR6
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:41:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff :

My previous TR3A actually ripped the A-arm mounts partially out of the
frame under hard braking.  Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, just
wound up straddling a low safety island.

The initial repair attempt was strong enough, but the #@$ mechanic
didn't put the mount in the right place, resulting in horrible errors in
steering geometry and resultant handling.  For the second attempt, he
sectioned another frame and welded the A-arm mount section into my
frame, with the body still in place.  The result worked just fine for
quite a few years.  Wasn't cheap, tho, ISTR it cost me over $400 US in
1975 (which was more than I'd paid for the car).

If you can do the work yourself, and have time and space to do it in
(remember you are going to want space for at least 2 cars), I'd say swap
the frame.

Randall