RE: TR3 Steering Box Rebuild

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering Box Rebuild
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 03:55:09 -0700
Bill :

IMO the hard part is getting the box out of the car (of course, it's a lot
easier with the apron off <g>).  Beyond that, you'll need a Pitman arm
puller (I improvised one by making lateral braces for a 2-leg gear puller),
and some assorted sockets, washers, threaded rod and creativity for pulling
the old bushing out and the new one into place.  The whole operation took
me less than a day, not counting the time to paint and oven-bake the
various parts.  I also recommend using a dial gauge to set the end-float,
although it isn't really necessary.  I found that doing it "by eye"
resulting in .004" end float, which the dial gauge made obvious.

The decision to replace the worm and/or ball bearings will be obvious once
you have the box apart.  Almost certainly, you will want to either replace
the peg, or turn it 90 degrees in the arm.  My worm is pretty sad, I'll
replace it next time.  In the meantime, outside of a little looseness at
center, it works OK.

Don't know if Ken 'does' steering worms, suggest you write him at
BFEKENG@aol.com and ask.  Herman van den Akker probably does.

Randall
59 TR3A