Re: Diagnostic of "burnt" valve

Subject: Re: Diagnostic of "burnt" valve
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:10:09 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
It is indeed common for 'performance' carbs and exhaust to cause
backfiring during overrun conditions (eg downshift and leave your foot
off the gas).  But, it's most unlikely that would cause a burnt valve,
since the engine is not under load, EGT is low, and in fact the
backfiring is caused by a cylinder not firing at all.  (The only way to
get backfiring in the exhaust is for one or more cylinders to dump out
unburnt mixture, generally due to a misfire.)

My suggestion : make an offer assuming the car needs a valve job, then
pat yourself on the back when you find out it doesn't !

IMO a valve that is burnt to the point of causing backfiring in the
exhaust will also cause a rough idle (the affected cylinder won't run at
idle).

Randall