Timing chain noises ?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing chain noises ?
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 07:43:28 -0400
Greetings fellow enthusiasts,
           I just got done with several repairs on a '76 TR6 that I just
got on the road. This has 72,000 miles on it. It has a noise coming out
of the engine area that has a metalic, or tinny sound. I thought at
first it was an exhaust clamp underneath that was touching the frame and
causing a vibration, but after moving it, the noise persisted. I think
it may be the timing chain slapping against the cover. It only makes the
noise when the motor has no load (not accelerating or decelerating) and
about 2,000 RPM on the tach. Several questions arise, if this could be
the problem. Will a timing chain have that much stretch so as to be able
to touch the cover? Is this normal or expected with the given mileage?
How long a job am I looking at to change out the chain (and gears, I
suppose)?And of course the big question.....how much would the parts
cost if it's chain, gears and gasket?
I thank you in advance for any assistance,
     Kevin Thompson
     CF55588U (and O next winter)