LIST ETIQUETTE AND BANDWIDTH

To: "Triumph Digest List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: LIST ETIQUETTE AND BANDWIDTH
From: "David Rogers" <dnja.rogers@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:28:10 +1000
Listers,
    I have been a silent List reader for about three years during which I
restored my 62 TR-4 from every last nut and bolt. The information available
to me was invaluable and the problems I ran into were generally those which
others had experienced and reported on the List. I have contacted others off
list, passed and received info (generally on simple matters) but as I am not
qualified or experienced in the trade, I have been reluctant to offer
technical advice more because it would probably be wrong !! When I read the
advice and
suggestions of guys like Dave Massey, I feel confident that my decision  to
run silent was correct (when reading Dave's comments I often think, "why
didn't I think of that?"). I
suggest there are plenty more like me out there!!!
    As I only get the daily digest down here, I don't want to clutter the
content with useless guff as at times, there is an awful lot of wasted
bandwidth and Digest V1# 75 is a good example of what I would call laziness.
If not all, most
readers would welcome Dan Masters back to the fold as his contributions and
advice have
been superb but I'm sure he didn't intend (and would be most embarrassed) to
see his post be repeated FIVE times and take up about 35% of the daily
digest #75.  Mark Bradakis has pleaded with us all, on many occasions to
limit the size of our posts but some seem to take the easy route and hit the
'reply' key, say a few words and hit 'send'. The other 782 of us then have
to scoll down page after page to get to the next entry. If a previously
silent (and now "flame-able") lister could make a plea, it is for a little
more 'list discipline' and more use of the 'delete' key when replying to
anything. One or two lines or a short summary are great but not the whole
post. All entries are trackable, courtesy of Mark's index and it takes a few
seconds to drag out the original post from a previous digest. A little
thought for the other
listers goes a long way!!
    Now that this ground hog has said his bit, it's back to the listening
burrow as it
is still winter down here in Australia but he'll be reading and taking
names!! Seriously, the list is a daily tonic and keeps one's interest in
Triumphs alive and kicking. Here's to more technical and informative content
and less personal arguments and repetitious posts.

Dave Rogers
62 TR-4 CT12038-0
Canberra Australia