Rear Seal Rope?

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Seal Rope?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:58:49 EDT
<The "period correct" spiral groved crankshaft and rope seal seems to be a
rather clever and creative but not necessarily a reliable way of controlling
oil at the rear.  In my mind, when you compare a crankshaft that's been
ground smooth to accept the modern seal and the housing arrangement for the
seal, it seems like a winner. >>
I have seen 'rope' mentioned before but have never seen it in any pictures in
factory / repair manuals. Anyone explain where the rope goes..I have the
scroll and aluminum half shell type original rear crank seal on my TR4 and
never found any rope in it. What is this rope deal?? The original system
seems fine if you don't have 'piston ring blow by', worn crank bearings (and
rear aluminum seal still fits snug) or go up too steep of a hill!
But please someone tell me about this 'rope' deal..

Carl Sereda
'64 TR4 since '74