Re: Moving a vehicle: USA to Canada

To: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Moving a vehicle: USA to Canada
From: Mark Dickinson <amdickin@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:30:35 -0600

Stephane et al:

Thanks for your responses.  Here is my decision process in a nutshell.

1)  Driving down is out of the question because of the time required.  This
would be the cheapest option.

2)  Shipping the car to the border is possible but the transport would have to
drop the car off at a given address.  I don't know anyone in Sweet Grass,
Montana and I don't think leaving an antique Porsche at the side of the road is
a good idea (call me crazy!).  This would save a significant amount of cash.  It
would also mean that all the papers would have to be in perfect order of I'd be
driving back to Calgary to sort it out (without the 911).

3)  Fly down and drive the car back.  Nope.  The cost of a short notice ticket
is prohibitive: $1450 USD.  Boy would that be a fun drive!  Again the border
crossing could be sticky as many of you mentioned.

4)  The most expensive option ($2500 CDN) is also the safest.  I'm going to have
the car shipped to Canada Customs at the Calgary airport.  It will come across
the border in bond ($100 fee).  This allows me to pick the car up locally.  If
there are any paperwork problems I won't be far from home.  And yes,  there is
the omnipresent GST!  (I think it is a hot tub fund for the PM!)

She should be on her way by late this afternoon.  Transportation time is about 7
to 10 days.  She is riding indoors too and so should be relatively clean.  I'll
let you know how it turns out.

Regards,
Mark Dickinson