Re: I've learned ...

To: <OHFASTONE@aol.com>
Subject: Re: I've learned ...
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:40:45 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Okay, "I've learned" had nothing whatsoever to do with Triumphs but what a
delightful and
sobering read. I've printed them out for others to enjoy. Here are three more
from my own
little collection - and apologies in advance to the list for not keeping within
vehicular
bounds.

Jonmac

? Having children is the greatest luxury you can have. When they're small and
fractious,
they stretch you beyond the limit. When they've grown and gone off on their
own, you'd
give all you have and a whole lot more just to have one day of their childhood
once again.

?  Watching children grow is like threatening the ivy to climb the garden wall.
You hurry
it along with love and briefly while your back is turned, they've gown - and
gone. Polly
put the kettle on, we'll all have tea. Giving love to children has made me older
overnight.

? I leave to the end, one aspect of character I regard of true greatness in a
man; it
certainly characterises all the great men I have known. I speak of that which
makes a man
a truly free human being. There are people - precious few of them - who are
truly free. In
this sense, they desire nothing by way of gain - and having gained, there is
nothing they
are not willing to lose. There is no preference or preferment or favour they
are seeking.
There is no honour or status or power they are not happy to decline or to
surrender. They
tell the truth, whether one wants to hear it or not, whether it makes them
popular or not.
For it is the truth and only the truth that sets them free, and in being so
spoken, the
truth sets free the one who seeks their counsel. Such people are one's best
advisers, they
are undoubtedly one's truest friends.