J-type overdrive

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: J-type overdrive
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:49:42 -0400
I bought a Spitfire 1500 parts car last year, and it came with a J-type
overdrive.  My 1974 TR6 doesn't have one, but I have been thinking of
installing one someday.  I wasn't really sure that the OD unit for the
two cars was really the same, but in looking at the part numbers for
the components in the VB catalogs for Spitfire and TR6, they all match
up despite the fact that the overall unit has different numbers for the
two cars.  One component that I could not check on was the adaptor plate.
It has no reference number in the TR6 catalog.  Is it possible that the
two OD units are identical except for an adaptor mount?  And if so, is
it very hard to find the TR6 adaptor?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6