tidbits of ebay news

Subject: tidbits of ebay news
From: Bob Simmons <bsimmons@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:23:05 -0500
Self-bidding, known as shill bidding, is forbidden by eBay and is
generally illegal at traditional auctions. Participation in bidding ring
violates federal laws prohibiting mail and wire fraud. Each count
carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $1 million in
fines.

The New York Times in a story Wednesday that investigators opened the
case after reading a story in the newspaper that described how Walton
and other eBay users had bid on each other' items and offered glowing
testimonials.

The probe was launched after lawyer Kenneth A. Walton tried to auction
an abstract painting

It was a lawyer!

To avoid being victimized by shill bidding, consumers should research
the product on which they are bidding and get to know the seller, said
Delores Gardner, a Federal Trade Commission attorney specializing in
Internet auction fraud.

(hi, my name is Bob, and I buy ebay stuff)

It said nothing about tr parts.  And I still don't have that manual.
thanks