Re: dash varnish remover recommendation

To: "sujit roy" <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: dash varnish remover recommendation
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:34:39 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "TRIUMPH LIST" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Key Word: Patience - Let the stripper do it's work!

I just stripped my TR6 dash with Circa Furniture Stripper.  It was a long
process (25+ Year old varnish can be quite hard!!!).  What I did was to
apply a generous coat of stripper and cover it with plastic film, so that it
won't dry too quick.  Let it sit for 15-60 min (let the stripper do it's
work) and use a wood scraper plastic will work to but be carefull!) to
remove the lifted varnish. Dont't force it, if it doesn't come off easily,
leave it!!!  Repeat the process until all the varnish is removed.  In my
case, it basically took the whole day but there is no scratch marks on the
dash and I didn't have to sweat.

On the VTR web site, there is a good article on how to refinish wood dash.
It's worth a look: http://www.vtr.org/maintain/fascia-refinishing.html

YMMV
Steph
'69 Spit - Hers (Coming back to life slowly)
'70 TR6 - Mine (In pieces)