RE: Inexpensive digital engine analyzer (dwell meter)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Inexpensive digital engine analyzer (dwell meter)
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:50:29 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I don't know about these in particular, but several friends have bought
other Tenma equipment and been reasonably happy with it.  Roughly on par
with Beckman consumer grade meters, maybe, (better than Radio Shack, not as
good as Fluke).  AFAIK MCM is the exclusive distributor for Tenma in the
USA.

The case is the usual hand-held DMM, with 3 banana connectors and a large
round knob for selecting functions and ranges.  It appears to be in a rubber
'holster' for shock protection.  There is a small slide switch to choose
between X1 and X10 tach, all other functions are on the big knob (22
positions).

>From the MCM ad :

Features : Large 3 1/2 digit 1999 count LCD display. Measures engine RPM (X1
and X10), dwell angle, duty cycle, DC voltage, DC current, resistance and
diode test. Continuity beeper. Switch selectable for DIS, 4, 5, 6, and 8
cylinder engines.  Overload protection on all ranges. Fused current range.
Low battery indicator. Auto power off. Includes 9V battery, holster, test
leads and owners manual.

Specs :
DC volts
ranges          200mv, 2V, 20V, 200V
max resolution  100uV
accuracy        +/- (0.8% + 1 digit)

DC current
ranges          200mA, 15A
max resolution  100uA
accuracy        +/- (1.2% + 2 digit) 15A,
                +/- (2.0% + 5 digits)

Resistance
ranges          200ñ, 2Kñ, 20Kñ, 200Kñ, 20Mñ
max resolution  0.1ñ
accuracy        +/- (1.0% + 3 digits)
                +/- (1.2% + 5 digits) 20 Mñ

Tachometer
range           0~10,000 RPM
max resolution  1 RPM
accuracy        +/- (2% + 1 digit)

Dwell Angle
range           0~90°
max resolution  0.1°
accuracy        +/- (1.5% + 1 digit)

Duty cycle
range           0.1~99.9%
max resolution  0.1%
accuracy        +/- (2% + 1 digit)

Dimensions      3" x 1 7/8" x 6 1/2"
Weight          .75 lb.

(Note : I've used the ñ symbol for ohms, ° for degrees.)

1 year limited warranty

Randall