TR4A tranny: damage assessment?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A tranny: damage assessment?
From: chansen@access1.net
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:40:13 GMT
First, thanks for the advice and help in response to my first post.  Everyone
advised pulling at least the layshaft.  Using the tip Tony Rhodes posted last
year during his struggles, I bolted the tranny mount back to the rear extension
and whacked at it with a big Chinese rubber mallet ($2 at the local junk store.)
 Rear extension came right off.

The rear layshaft keeper was broken in two at the screw.  From the wear at the
ends where it fits into the layshaft and that other little shaft, its been
broken
for a while.  The layshaft may have been turning while backed about 1/8" out
of its place.

I found lots of gritty grey sludge, especially in the sump at the front of the
rear extension.  Not good.  The layshaft has signs of wear (brighter areas on
the ends) but still has the specified diameters.  How do you tell if the
layshaft
is bad? I have a new one from Rimmer, but I've heard that some new shafts aren't
as hard as the originals.

And to the broken clutch fork pin:  I've drilled the clutch fork from the
opposite
side to the cavity above the end of the broken pin.  I've rapped on what I think
is the end of the pin with a 1/8" drift, no movement.  It really feels solid
in there.  Is the pin threaded into the shaft?  Does the hole go all the way
through the shaft?

Finally, to pull the mainshaft I made what resembles the special tool.  I found
a piece of mild steel 2" pipe, drilled and tapped two bolt holes on opposites
sides of one end, then mounted an old engine mount at the other end to beat
against.  That was fun, hope it works.

Thanks for the help, guys, and so does my wife.  She knows how theraputic an
evening with greasy parts can be.

Cliff
------------This message was sent using Access1 Mail! http://www.access1.net