Rust Paints

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust Paints
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:29:03 -0700

> Hello Eric.  I had my TR-250 frame sand blasted.  Then painted with gloss
> black.
> Rustolam.  I sprayed it with a gun. Just purchase some medium fast drying
> enamel reducer. To thin the paint with. No primmer. Just painted on the fresh
> blasted frame. That frame sat outside for three years in the weather before I
> got going on it. Clean it up and it looked great.  Before assembling the
> chassis. I did put a coat of POR Clear on it.  John,  Flintstone, GA

Any thoughts as to how well this would work as an undercoat to the
bodywork?  I am (slowly) repairing my TR4's body and it would be nice to
be able to slap some Product on it that would stop it from flash-rusting
over night... lately I have been using up the assorted 'wrong color'
spray bombs we have around here (ever seen cashmere brown?  Had an '80
Volare that color... car is gone, paint remains :-( )  It would be nice
to be able to paint it with something that I *know* will not cause
problems later on down the road.

On a similar note, what's the best way to get rid of
scale-due-to-welding?  I am using a wire-wheel in the angle grinder but
it's tedious work, is there a faster / better way?  How about getting
into the cracks & crevices where it is too confied to fit the grinder
in, but not rusty enough to warrant wholesale replacement?

TIA,

-Malcolm