Head modification

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head modification
From: "Michael Thompson" <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:34:05 -0400
Hello all,
 I have burnt an exhaust valve seat and while the head is off I would like
to do a little work on it, primarily shaving it down to increase the
compression. I have two heads, so I'm not too worried about not being able
to go back to stock.
I have a good fast road cam installed and 87mm liners and pistons. Both
heads I think are earlier versions. My main question is how can I tell how
far to go with the plainer? Kastner's prep manual warns of making the water
jacket weak on the earlier heads. Where can I measure this? Also how do I
make sure the push rod tubes are sealed after all of the work? I once had a
head dipped and worked on and from then on I had small streams of oil
dripping down the side of the engine.
Cheers,
Mike Thompson
http://www.rio.edu/miket/index.htm