Engine oil TR6

To: "Jan-Ole Pedersen" <jpe@progress.com>
Subject: Engine oil TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:56:25 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Jan-Ole Pedersen"
>I want to change the oil on my 71 TR6 PI and wondering what kind of oil
I should use.
Should I just use a 20/50 oil, or do you guys out there have other
ideas.

Have been thinking about using a synthetic oil but have now experience
using it. Anyone that use it ?

How much does the outdoor temperature really means when you want to
choose oil ?
I currently lives in the Netherlands and the temperature normally
between 15-30 degrees celsius when I use the car.

Thanks for your reply,

Jan-Ole

'71 TR6 PI
<

Jan-Ole,

I live here in St. Louis where the temperature ranges from -10 to 35
degrees Celcius.  I use 10W-40 oil year-round with fine results.  I feel
that 20W-50 is too heavy for wintertime use in our climate.  I have just
recently renewed my crank bearings and oil pump (and thrust washers) on my
car and the oil pressure stays at 65  -70 PSI (regulated by the oil
pressure relief valve) at any engine speed above 2,000 RPM even when warm.

Others will suggest 20W-50 which will be fine for your climate since your
weather does not get as cold as ours does.

Enjoy your TR6.

Dave