Re: Broken push rod- TR 4

To: bebritt@gate.net
Subject: Re: Broken push rod- TR 4
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:26:38 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/11/00 5:28:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bebritt@gate.net
writes:

<< Listers,

 Lost #1 cylinder on way home from British Car meet in Winter Park, Fl.
  nice event ).
 New spark plug didn't help. Limped home on 3 cylinders ( no fun ).

 Upon further inspection found broken push rod, intake #1 cyl, broken, about
 1/2 inch from top.
 all new break. What would cause this? Everything else seems o.k. as far as I
 can tell.

 Anyone have this happen?

 Maybe it got out of adjustment?

 Any ideas?

 Thanks in advance.

 Bruce Britt      TR 4  CT 37049L
 Lakeland, Fl.
 bebritt@gate.net

Hi Bruce
Never heard of this, although I suppose it could be simple metal fatigue. Was
there any noise when it went? I'm thinking about a valve hitting a piston
here....
I was on my way up to the Lake Helen show last month with an MGB that
suffered a broken rocker adjuster. Just broke in half, sounded like a
shattered piston.

Hope you are as "lucky" as this MGB owner was!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4