Was Stromberg now Solex

To: "Pat Fischer" <pfischer@unicom.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was Stromberg now Solex
From: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:47:30 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I had the exact same problem, many years ago with my '62 Mercedes 190SL
(LOW AND SLOW!!!). The front carb  (pair of Solex PHH 44's... and you
think Webers are complicated!) had a "bent" butterfly... it would
actually hang up on the idle mixture jet. Several hundreds of dollars
for a complete rebuild and I was back in business.

I bought that car in 1969, and enjoyed it during the 1969 summer... the
Jersey shore... ooooh, the memories. Even though it was slow, very slow,
off the line, it was a real highway (er, Autobahn) beast. On the night
(2:00AM) I left Fort Dix I got onto the Jersey Tpke at Exit 7, twisted
the speedo around to 105 MPH and held it there steady until I got to the
GW Bridge. I figured, If I lost my license, so what... I wouldn't need
it for a year anyway! After a freshening of the body and paint, I stored
it, in November, while I went off to see beautiful South East Asia.
Thank God my orders showed up when they did... that car was a money pit.
Worse than a Healey!

When I got home, as a struggling newlywed, I had a tough time justifying
the expense (actually, I should have bought the 1962 Vette that was
going for the same price!!) and I sold it in 1970 for $1200. I never
looked back, until...

Last Fall there was a white 190SL.. red leather, black top, nice
shape... asking price $25,000 FIRM. Lots of shoulda', coulda', woulda's,
huh gang?

My TR4 is no 190SL... then again Mercedes hasn't built a REAL sports car
since the 300SL... ein schnelles auto, mien Herr.

I can tell it's time for bed... I ramble...

Hey Greenman... Santa Monica calls.

"And to think, it all started with a tractor!"

Don Sforza           dsforza@megahits.com                  KA1WV
1963 TR4        Connecticut Triumph Register             CT16707L
Now sporting 7 speeds forward..........zoom!