Re: Exhaust resonators

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust resonators
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 14:00:13 -0400
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> I'm getting ready to install the Borla muffler on the Spitfire, and still
> have a slight concern about the noise level.  I know, I know, but I'm not a
> kid anymore, and I just cant stand that droning associated with the usual
> straight through exhaust.
> Borla makes a resonator, that I think I can install before the muffler.
> Question 1.  Will a small (18 inch long) resonator actually help enough to
> justify the cost ($95) and installation work (minor)?  I do know that the
> GT's  did use one on early models, so I assume they are of some benefit
> Question  b.  Does anyone have the minimum distance between the frame at
> it's narrowest section?  In other words, will a 3 inch dia resonator fit in
> there?  I realize it would be close, but a 1/4 inch of clearance if mounted
> properly should suffice.
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
>
> 72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spitfire (long term project)

Barry,

I agree with Joe that clearance will be tight, but I also think it'll work if
you're
careful fitting it up.  One of the best tricks with a tight fit like that is to
wrap
the pipe/muff on each end with a few layers of that exhaust insulating fiberglas
wrap.  It's sold at most speed shops, etc. under a variety of brand names, but
basically they're all the same.  It's about 2" wide woven beige cloth primarily
used
for wrapping headers and such.  Wrapping each end of the resonator  with a few
layers
will form a cushion to quite the rattles.  With only 1/8" clearance on each
side, the
engine will most likely rock enough that the pipe will hit, but if it's
cushioned, you
won't hear it!

I'm sorry that I haven't been as active on the list recently -  I do appreciate
the
nice comments.  It's pretty tough being a small shop and when the weather starts
turning nice things have a way of getting out of control around here.  Mostly I
really
have to thank my wife for being so understanding each Spring.  As soon as I
come up
for air I promise to get back to being a 'regular'.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars