TR6 Clutch Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutch Problem
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:58:45 EDT
Cc: dhenn@dsio.dla.mil
Folks, received this from a TR6 owner.  My expertise is TR4's -- anyone help
him?  Please respond directly to him.  Thanks.  Art Kelly

----------------------------------
Received from dhenn@dsio.dla.mil

Hi, Arthur-

My name is Dave Henn, and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I read your article on
TR clutch problems on the VTR website, and was hoping you had time to help
me with one of mine:

I have a 1971 Triumph TR6. Last fall I was driving the car when, over the
span of 15 minutes, I felt the clutch change- that is, it took more pressure
to engage the clutch. Within 1 mile of home, I struggled to get it into 2nd
gear, and rather than risk being stranded in neutral, I drove all the way
home in 2nd gear. Now the car will not go into gear when the engine is
running. It doesn't grind (except when trying to shift into reverse), it
just won't go into any gear.

Here is what I have already done:
1.  Replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing (with new
parts)
2.  Examined the clutch fork pin (it was fine)
3.  Examined thrust washers and measured the play of the crankshaft. (it
was within specs)
4.  Replaced Clutch hydraulics (master & slave cylinders, hoses)
5.  Swapped out gear box with used one, but one that definitely works.

With all these changes, the clutch arm on the side of the gearbox is moving
3/4 of an inch. The manuals say this should move 5/8 inches. I don't know
what else it could be! Can you provide any guidance?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Dave Henn
dhenn@dsio.dla.mil