TR3A Clutch Slave Cylinder -- Many, Many, Many Thanks

To: <greentr3@ptd.net>
Subject: TR3A Clutch Slave Cylinder -- Many, Many, Many Thanks
From: "John Runge" <greentr3@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 20:47:02 -0400charset="Windows-1252"

Late last year I asked the list for help with my Clutch slave cylinder
rebuild, I was unable to get the piston out of the cylinder.

I received many suggestions, (some of them from my dear wife that I can't
repeat) ranging from
using a grease gun or an air gun to "boiling the cylinder".

I didn't have easy access to a grease gun and the air gun did not work.

So... I tried to fill the cylinder with brake fluif ;-) and sealed both
openings with bleeder screws.
        Then I placed the cylinder in a pot of boiling water.
        After a few minutes, I removed the bleeder screw, cooled the
cylinder and topped  the fluid and replaced the bleeder screw.
        Then back in the hot water again.
        I repeated the above Four or Five times and it did the job.

This only works if you have enough room for sufficient brake fluid though.
I have a spare cylinder where the piston was stuck all the way in, no luck
with that one.

Also, I recently found out why I couldn't send mail to the List (DUH),

Again thanks

John