Not really LBC... Need help with spinning captive nut

To: Reginald Tulk <regtulk@isd.net>
Subject: Not really LBC... Need help with spinning captive nut
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 10:00:59 -0400
Cc: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Reginald Tulk
>   <<< SNIP >>> Problem is - one of the bolts just spins
and spins - I assume that the captive nut welded to the inside of the
frame channel has become "unwelded".  The nut is inside a square tube
that has baffles in it - can't even see the *&^%% thing, let alone get a
wrench on it!.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can remove the bolt?  I've considered
cutting an access into the channel, but I don't like the idea of putting
weak spots into the frame.  If I need to take it to a shop I will - but
if anybody has any info I sure would appreciate it.
<

Reg,

Sounds to me like the cut-an-access-hole is the way to go.  If you are
worried about weakening the frame you can have a patch welded on (at a weld
shop if you don't do this yourself) to restore original structural
integrity.  And I wouldn't worry about concours points at this point.

Dave