RE: Spitfire and Midget Engine

To: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>, "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, Davies William-qswi646 <William_Davies-QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire and Midget Engine
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 15:57:01 +0000
Cc: "'Ken Waringa'" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>.mot.com>
John Kipping is currently advertising  two types of Spit gearboxes with better
ratio spacing than the standard 3 rail box.

IMHO the most desirable uses Marina ratios which leaves 1st gear about the same
but raises second to get rid of the large gap between 2nd and 3rd which can
be a
problem on mountain passes etc.

The second option uses GT6 ratios but the first gear is higher which for
the  mountain
pass situation is less desirable with the lower torque of the 4 cyl engine.

Thought the above may be of interest.

John Dowson